[Air-L] public private

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Sat Aug 11 08:51:26 PDT 2007

On Aug 10 2007, Gilbert B. Rodman wrote:

>it's legal to perform other people's songs without their permission.

My previous comment notwithstanding, I AM going to correct this: absent a
handful of unusual and narrow exceptions (like public performance of
nondramatic musical works at agricultural fairs) -- no, it's not. You
almost always need a non-statuory license for public performances.

>To the best of my knowledge, there's no actual analog for a compulsory
>license in other media

This is the more important point flowing from the previous correction: in
fact the copyright acts of not only the U.S. but most other jurisdictions
are absolutely lousey with compulsory licenses. Many of them, like fair use
or fair dealing, are at a zero royalty, but they are extremely common.
Depending on what you mean by "other media," they also occur with frequency
in other IP and non-IP ownership regimes. There is a large, and frankly
unmanageable literature studying this.

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk