[Air-L] research regs.

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Sun Aug 12 05:06:47 PDT 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 11:54 PM, Marj Kibby wrote:

> Doesn't this say clearly that if the blog (publicly available) already
> exists before your study begins, and was not set up for the purpose of
> your study then it is exempt?
>
> Marj

Yes as along as the data set is "finished" before IRB review . . .
HOWEVER, that's under the condition that the data cannot be tracked
back to the individual. In that case, one would (at the U of I) need
informed consent. And I think that's the core of the issue with web-
netted stuff . . . the key feature (at least to me) is that the
researcher can code and protect the data, and then array it later in
publication, in such a way that the material used can't be tracked
back to a subject who has not given informed consent. Not being able
to do so problematizes the use of key/core passages as
exemplars . . .If/when I collect materials from subjects f-2-f (in
public or private with or without consent, depending on what I'm
doing) I can keep indentifying materials safe by coding and lock and
key; when I publish exemplars, there's no web-netted record of the
material ever having been uttered as the words were written in the
wind. But with blogs, the materials are present, available, and
searchable and are often tied to the source with some expectation
that others can track back and find them. If they can lead back to
the subject, at least according to the UI protocol, the use of the
materials may well require informed consent to qualify for the
exemption from full review and vigilant committee oversight.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
Bradley University