[Air-L] [Fwd: Re: The slow decay of mySpace?]

Rhiannon Bury buryrc at rogers.com
Thu Aug 23 10:53:33 PDT 2007

I respectfully beg to differ on this distinction made between online  an
offline community formation. Just because someone is a physical
neighbour in no way guarantees that one is a member of that
neighbourhood community. I myself have lived in neighbourhoods where I
was a very active community member in a political context. I have lived
in others where I didn't even know the names of my neighbours.
Similarly in cyberspace, creating a mailing list, bulletin board or
Facebok grouping is not synonymous with creating a community.  To
paraphrase David Buckingham writing about media audiences, being a
community member is not something you  are but something you do. This
suggests a discursive understanding of community. I see both online and
offline communities as being defined and produced by the practices of
those who participate in them.  Of course I recognize that the lack of
physical presence has effects, both positive and negative. The issue of
"lurking" for example, and even the negative connotation of that term,
suggests that one must actively participate to be viewed as a legitimate
community member (I think this was discussed on this list some time back).

Very interesting discussion, folks!  I don't want to give the impression
of jumping in and then "disappearing" but I'm off on vacation tomorrow
and don't be accessing this account for 10 days or so.

Best

Rhiannon