[Air-L] Number of SNSs users are active in.

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 07:51:33 PDT 2007

I've just been reading Wired's article about SNS for Students and Marc
Canter was quoted as saying that the average user was active in 5
Social Networks. I wasn't entired sure if they meant "5 communities"
or "5 websites", but, given that they then went on to list 5 sites, I
guess it was the latter.
(http://www.wired.com/software/webservices/news/2007/08/student_networks
)

I've found (I think!) Canter's blog ( http://marc.blogs.it/) but can't
seem to find anything about the numbers of active networks.

I was rather surprised to read the 5, clearly the definition of
"active" could vary, I'm sure my MySpace account that I signed up for
ages ago doesn't count, but I wouldn't call myself active on Facebook
either (login perhaps once a fortnight, don't actively add friends,
delete requests from those I don't recognise etc).

I'm also assuming that he's not counting things like forums, which
are, in effect, a community, but again, I could be wrong.

Does anyone else have any evidence (published or anecdotal) to support
or otherwise Canter's claim?

Emma

--
Blog: http://userweb.port.ac.uk/~duke-wie/blog/