[Air-L] Dissertation

Alecea Standlee stan0504 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 14:31:09 PDT 2007

Brooke,
I am also in the process of working on my
dissertation, which uses online sources and
references. There are two distinct issues in doing
this kind of research, ethics and legality. With
regard to legal implications, I would suggest
contacted your academic institutions board of ethical
research. Most such boards include at least some legal
experts who can help you make decisions about legality
directly relevant to your field and your region.
Now on to ethics, I think its best to go back to
basics with this. One of the earliest and most
important concepts most of us learn about research is
to protect your informants. This means not only
protecting offline information but protecting their
online identity as well. The specifics of how to do
that will depend on the exact nature of your project.
Whenever I conduct research, I firmly believe that my
first duty is to make sure that my research subjects
are not harmed by my research. That being said, I
think that getting the permission of the bloggers
themselves and offering a psudonym is a good start.
However, I don't think that its entirely necessary to
get consent from each respondants. Here's why. A
bloggers response is a semi-public forum. If you treat
Internet spaces like a document, then is akin to a
"letter to the editor" in a newspaper.
If on the other hand you view Internet spaces in a
more post-modern light, and see it as a location. Then
it is a public venue, a place where ethical rules of
observation or participant observation in a public
space function. I do however, suggest that you ask
your bloggers to notify their readership that they are
particpation in your research. While it may somewhat
influence the behavior, I think that outing yourself
as a researcher fulfills you ethical obligations...
Just my humble opinion.
Alecea