[Air-L] Survey completion rate

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Fri Aug 10 11:10:11 PDT 2007

By completion do you mean how many of those who click through to it
actually finish it?

On the survey I'm running right now I have WAY less than 80%
completion rate. It is more like 55%, which I think is on a par with
the last one I did. The "completion" figures are off too, though,
because SurveyGizmo (which I am very happy with BTW) calls things
completed if people went through to the last page even if they didn't
do large sections of the stuff in between, so 50% may be more
accurate. On the other hand, some of the surveys it categorizes as
'partial' are more complete than those it calls "saved" (ie
completed), and I have manually deleted many partials if I could see
that they were either empty or had only the first page filled out,
which would make the completion rate even lower than 50%.

I figure it makes sense that more people would be curious to see what
it was about than would be interested in doing it, and also figure
that the IRB form they encounter first would turn some people off. My
survey is pretty long too, so I'm not surprised to have a lot of drop
outs along the way.

I am curious to hear others' experiences too.

Nancy