[Air-L] Survey completion rate

Holly Kruse holly-kruse at utulsa.edu
Fri Aug 10 11:20:26 PDT 2007

Nancy wrote:

> By completion do you mean how many of those who click through to it
> actually finish it?

Yes.

> On the survey I'm running right now I have WAY less than 80%
> completion rate. It is more like 55%, which I think is on a par with
> the last one I did. The "completion" figures are off too, though,
> because SurveyGizmo (which I am very happy with BTW) calls things
> completed if people went through to the last page even if they didn't
> do large sections of the stuff in between,

I think that's what's happening with SurveyMonkey too.  I added "Not
applicable" as a choice to virtually all of my non-demographic closed-ended
questions, so that may be helping with my completion rate, so far.

Despite the various recommendations for other online survey services
(including SurveyGizmo :-), so far I'm quite happy with SurveyMonkey.  I
mainly stuck with it because it's the one I included in my original internal
grant application -- including its information on pricing, privacy policies,
and the rest -- and heaven forbid that I should decide to switch to another
service and have to go through the IRB again to get all that approved!  But
so far, so good.

Holly