[Air-L] public private

burkx006 at umn.edu burkx006 at umn.edu
Sun Aug 12 05:30:27 PDT 2007

On Aug 10 2007, Ed Lamoureux wrote:

>On Aug 10, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Conor Schaefer wrote:
>
>> More to the point, the concourse of a mall is by my definition
>> completely public.
>
>and this would absolutely wrong and total nonsense, at least in
>America. In American, EVERY mall is private property and is
>specifically posted as such. No one may do research within them
>without the express written consent of the mall owners.

Hm, well, not completely true. In some states, malls are public fora for
purposes of the state constitution -- the right to expression overrides the
private property interest in those cases. The point being that it is
dangerous to draw parallels between physical spaces and virtual spaces,
something many of us have written about.

DLB

--
Dan L. Burk
Oppenheimer, Wolff & Donnelly Professor