[Air-L] public private

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Mon Aug 13 16:10:48 PDT 2007

> I don't know where you got just that. The original definition is
>> A human subject is* a living individual* about whom an investigator
>> (whether professional or student) conducting research obtains (a)
>> data
>> through *intervention or interaction* with the *individual*, or (b)
>> *identifiable* private information

yes, that was what i was referring to.
> the devil is in the details. "A living individual" IMHO disqualifies
> imaginary personas and as long as you can't rule them out, you
> write off
> your entire work (even if we talk of just one in a hundred.).

I'm not sure I understand where you are going here?   I don't need
'real' people to talk about the things that I need, I just need the
results to be created by either humans or created by something that
human creates.   It is perfectly valid, but then I'm not dealing
explicitly with human subjects either.

> On the
> first note you certainly need a specific someone to intervene on or
> interact with , since you need to be able to distinguish between pre-
> and post- interaction / intervention states. On the second note you
> can't identify private information which is unconfirmed.

yes, that is fine.

>> which problem?  that your research needs identifiable individual
>> subjects?   in that case, you are very likely going to have the
>> ethics issues noted earlier, which will then be resolved in some way
>> like a consent form.
>>
> Name one field of research which does not "need" identifiable
> individual
> subjects. I'm not aware of any.

sociology, anthropology, musicology, literary studies, anything that
does not require methodological individualism, which is most fields
of research.   Even some topics of research that do no sometimes
require methodological individualism don't require identifiable
subjects.  In fact, I'd say those that ''need'' identifiable
individual subjects are probably in the minority in terms of research.