[Air-L] on the Wayback Machine (was public/private [part 1 of 2])

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:25:41 PDT 2007

I think that a better analogy for an unlisted website "in the wild"
would be a broadsheet posted to a tree deep in the woods, with no signs
pointing to it, and it doesn't exist on any maps. Of course, once
someone /does /find it by walking around at random (or by systematically
trying to cover all ground in the forest), its location can easily be
placed on any map (i.e. linked to).

I'm going to further say that I believe the woods to be on national park
land, so that anyone can freely traverse them. I understand this will
complicate the analogy for some people on this list, but I had to state
my opinion entirely.

Lois Ann Scheidt wrote:
> Now beyond that, I would argue that from a research perspective the
> blog was still open to study, if it can be found.  I say that because
> the best terrestrial analogy I can think of to your thought experiment
> is someone who posted a broadsheet on a pole but with a cover over the
> broadsheet...lots of things could pull that cover off...the wind, rain,
> or a passing person who didn't like the color of the cover.  In short,
> a person who would go to that much trouble to hide in plan sight...well
> it's still plan sight.

lengthy post. This is a very compelling angle; it's showing that the
scale is changing so quickly in this field from what social scientists
have traditionally been exposed to! In an online ethnography I did, I
kept the true names (true aliases?) of members I came across, because so
often the names themselves were the subject of conversation and were
absolutely crucial to the handling of identity among the group. I could
not obfuscate the names and retain and semblance of validity in the
conclusions I drew from observing this behavior.

Conor