[Air-L] The slow decay of mySpace?

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Wed Aug 22 06:40:06 PDT 2007

I think most, if not all, SNSs have a lot of inactive accounts. On
the one hand it's in their best interest to count them, so they look
really popular when they give 'user' figures to the press. On the
other, they are a bit of a drain on resources and also cause problems
for people looking for others (on Last.fm, the SNS I look at most,
there is constant complaining about being assigned 'neighbours' -- ie
algorithmic matches based on music listening habits -- who are
inactive).

But it's important to realize that for all the talk of 'migration'
there is also a tremendous amount of ... simultaneous habitation?
Unlike geographical homesteading, as the 'migration' metaphor
implies, online people live in a lot of places at once. Perhaps its
more like buying vacation homes than migrating.

In the data I have from Last.fm users, about half of the people who
are friends on Last.fm are also friends on at least one other SNS
(MySpace and FB are the most common, but by no means the only ones)
and many also connect on webboards, IRC channels, and many other
sorts of spaces both online and off.

So I would caution against binary thinking that if people are adding
accounts to one site they are abandoning accounts on other sites.
That goes on, but there are also huge amounts of cross-site
connections being built that are often ignored in site-focused
research. I wrote about this recently in the context of online fans
of Swedish indie music who use many sites including MySpace, FB,
Last.fm, YouTube, blogs and websites in highly interconnected ways:
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue12_8/baym/index.html

Nancy