[Air-L] public/private

Cameron Adams C.L.Adams at kent.ac.uk
Sat Aug 11 08:57:10 PDT 2007

Edward writes:

"if you are chatting in the knowing presence of others, you know who
can hear you and you can moderate your volume based on who you want
to listen.

<snip>

so in the case of data collected from the internet . . . did the
subject have a reasonable expectation that YOU would be observing them?
Did they have the chance to modulate their transmission based on your
presence?"

I find this very interesting.  Clearly, most people will moderate their
tone and volume in a coffee shop or other venue where others are
around.  We can assume that what is easily heard is not "private," or
relatively less so than communications made at a volume below the
hearing threshold.  In web communications, it seems according to this
thread, that which is available for millions of people to easily
overhear can not be so easily considered to be "public" as the loud
bragging of the oaf at the bar (though this can be overheard by only a
few people).  I do not contest this, but I am curious as to why someone
may consider an easily read document (or viewed pictures) to be at all
safe from prying eyes.  I think there is something fundamental going on
here that ought to be investigated.  Its not just blogs, but also the
phenomenon of recording one's crimes on their phone, which makes
prosecution astoundingly easy.

What's going on in a broader cultural sense that makes people publicly
broadcast, or close to it, what they really intend to be privately
held?

I just can't believe that there are that many deeply ignorant people
out there....

Cheers,

Cam