[Air-L] speaking of crime

mhward mhward at usyd.edu.au
Thu Aug 9 19:47:31 PDT 2007

This is a Really Big Thing here at the moment. We have an election due to be
called, thus anything and everything that might garner the popular vote is
grist to the political mill. To put it into perspective, this isn't the
worst thing that's happened. That would (arguably) be the taking back of
Aboriginal lands and the invasion of Aboriginal communities by the federal
government in order to stamp out child abuse. There has also been sudden
federal funding of a hospital in a marginal electorate that was due to close
(states fund hospitals in Australia), a promise to overrule a state
government's rationalisation of local body boundaries and the internment and
deportation of a doctor from India whose cousin was one of the men who
rammed the burning vehicle into Glasgow airport.

This man has made a career of appealing to the scared and ignorant and using
wedge politics. He is getting desperate. The chances are currently quite
good that he won't be in a position to carry any of this out in a few
months, but you can't take anything for granted.

M-H