[Air-L] public private

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Fri Aug 10 13:42:46 PDT 2007

As a producer/director for a large national organization who also works
with Hollywood folks and SAG, I think that the smart thing to do legally
is to get signed informed consent forms and talent agreements locked
down early to protect oneself for future uses both academic and public.
The key is informing ones subjects from the beginning. This is what I
did for my study on edutainment & convergence with my subjects who work
in the entertainment field. As a working producer/director who now is
literally defending my study within the next week or two in higher ed, I
think that one has to be transparent from the outset when conducting a
study; however, I think one has to take certain steps to protect oneself
legally and enable one to have the ability to publish commercially if or
when the opportunity becomes available. I have been fortunate because I
am debating over whether to publish myself or go with traditional
publishers because I have received attention from some folks. My advice
is to be smart and be careful because the MPAA and RIAA are suing people
every day on infringement issues and they are frequently winning out of
court and in the courtrooms because they crafted the legal language and
even wrote it to protect their publishing interests. They also created
an avenue for ordinary folks,like subjects and actors, to sue because of
the issue of digital publishing. The SAG labor fight with Hollywood a
year or so ago brought this issue to light. Why is this important for
us? Because they are creating the law that will impact publishing online
with video, audio and print. Subjects on video have the potential of
becoming future SAG members if they go viral and SAG wants a cut
whenever possible. Just something to thing about in the future because I
see it coming.