[Air-L] public private

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Fri Aug 10 15:31:24 PDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:35 PM, Jeremy Hunsinger wrote:

> we should be clear that putting them into form.... requires them to
> not be your composition and not a prior composition or prior
> idea... no?

sorry.. did you mistype this? To be properly protected, the stuff has
to have been mine in the first place

as noted in a later post, I DID fail to fully explain the analogy to
music and the relationship to the compulsory license system.
Once I've written the words down, or noted the music or played it....
in writing, the work is protected (if it was mine to start with) from
ANY copying other than that which is allowed via fair use or my
permission.
In music, the work is protected from copying (that is, re-
transcribing the notes as though they were yours) AND from public
performance, but in the case of the latter, the protection is
afforded through compulsory licensing that compensates me for your
public performance . . . you don't have to ask, but you do have to pay.

> On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Ed Lamoureux wrote:
>
>> sorry
>> IP law is really clear on this.
>> once I put the ideas into form, they are protected by copyright law.
>> You can't copy my song without permission. If you do, it's
>> infringement.
>> Doesn't matter where you do it.  If I find out about it, I can seek a
>> cease and desist order

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication