[Air-L] public/private

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Sat Aug 11 15:22:44 PDT 2007

Alex,
correct, roughly, on one level.
that is . . . you could probably publish without running afoul of
"rights of privacy" torts in most states. No guarantee that you'd not
end up in court challenged over it... but you might well win due to
the "public" factors you mention.

However, there is a HUGE difference, in my view.
Your photos, and this hypothetical, were not posed as a data
collection in social science, approved by an IRB, sort of activity.
In fact, as posed, you weren't doing social scientific research at all.
Were you doing social scientific research and had you selected those
people as research subjects in your work, your IRB would probably
have wanted to have a talk with you about the use of
photography . . . for one of the hallmarks of human subjects
protection is that the data NOT BE CONNECTED TO THE INDIVIDUAL
SUBJECT IN A WAY THAT CAN HARM THEM.

You violated that. They had the right to be asked. In public or not.

On Aug 11, 2007, at 2:38 PM, Alex Halavais wrote:

> Similar hypothetical: A group of people engage in a fetish festival on
> a public street. Pretty racy and revealing stuff going on. As a
> researcher, I take pictures and observe the interactions and include
> them in a best seller called "Weird fetishists and the weird fetishes
> they engage in weirdly." Years later, this gets back to the
> participants, and they are tres embarrassed.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication
Co-Director, New Media Center