[Air-L] research regs.

Jeremy Hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Sun Aug 12 05:45:50 PDT 2007

On Aug 12, 2007, at 7:06 AM, Ed Lamoureux wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2007, at 11:54 PM, Marj Kibby wrote:
>

>> Doesn't this say clearly that if the blog (publicly available)
>> already
>> exists before your study begins, and was not set up for the
>> purpose of
>> your study then it is exempt?
>>
>> Marj
>
> Yes as along as the data set is "finished" before IRB review . . .
> HOWEVER, that's under the condition that the data cannot be tracked
> back to the individual.

this is not the way it works.  individual data can be tracked back if
it is published.  private data is the issue.  private data is not
broadly defined, but includes financial data and medical data so long
as it isn't published.   for instance, paris hilton's finances are
private on the one hand but huge parts are now made public.  we can
research and reveal the public parts.   similarly talking about
president bushes bowel health as reported in the media... is fine.

> In that case, one would (at the U of I) need
> informed consent.

nope, it is published text, no subjects involved.  It depends on the
argument that you make, but the federal guidelines are pretty clear.

> .If/when I collect materials from subjects f-2-f (in
> public or private with or without consent, depending on what I'm
> doing)

what is a subject?  what are the defining characteristics?
a. someone intervened with
b. someone whose private data is used

there is no federally defined subject in blog research until you
interact with them, or use data that they have not made publicly
available.  for instance, if you reveal the name of a pseudonymous
blogger... you have created a subject by mixing private knowledge
with public knowledge.

jeremy hunsinger
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(www.cipr.uwm.edu)

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments

http://www.aoir.org The Association of Internet Researchers
http://www.stswiki.org/ stswiki
http://cfp.learning-inquiry.info/  LI-the journal