[Air-L] public/private

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Sun Aug 12 16:13:22 PDT 2007

> Two other points. This list serves a lot of people like you . . .
> graduate students looking for direction. In fact, this thread was
> started by a grad student asking for advice/direction. What's a faculty
> member to do? Ignore possible issues and just say "OK KID, GO FOR IT!"
> even when and if they think there are issues to be discussed? We were
> asked our opinion about these considerations. Both sides of the issue
> have been represented and discussed. I think that's healthy.

Just to stick my head up a little... Ed, Lois probably knows more
practical things about IRB work than 99% of those of us on the list.  If
she's got a stance she's presenting, she probably has a solid backlog of
reasons for doing so.  [Knowing her pretty well, she's not one to just BS
or make things up.  :)]

I also feel some serious discomfort with the dichotomization between
graduate students and "faculty" that your last post drew.  I don't feel
that that's appropriate, and would prefer to simply "not go there".

--e