[Air-L] on the Wayback Machine (was public/private [part 1 of 2])

Michael Zimmer michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
Mon Aug 13 16:06:52 PDT 2007

How are they not adding to the potential audience? When I'm sitting
in the park, there are a finite number of people in the park who
happen to be looking in my direction at the precise moment my finger
enters my nose. Isn't that often part of the calculus when people do
embarrassing things in public - that few people will see it, and
those that do don't know me, etc.

Now, having said action captured by a camera -- a camera, mind you,
that no one gave consent to (many public CCTV systems are required to
at least post notice - not so with Google's cute little cars roaming
our cities with their 11-lens cameras) -- and then indexed and
uploaded by one of the world's largest brokers of information
constitutes a significant shift in my expectations of the visibility
of my action. I had never considered (nor had any say in the matter)
as to whether it would be recorded, meta-tagged with a location
(perhaps even the date), nor made available online.

Even if we feel that isn't a violation of contextual integrity (see
Nissenbaum), I could perhaps rest assured that it is highly unlikely
that someone happens to stumble upon that particular image from the
millions captured by Google. Surely, few will find it, let alone my
mother. Enter Mr Leno & Mr Letterman (don't know if it was them - but
for sake of example...). Now, instead of me relying on the obscurity
of the particular image to protect my embarrassment, its existence
and URL has been broadcast to millions by two popular and trusted
celebrities. Ping!

IMO, the whole "you did it in public anyway" argument holds little
water...

-mz

-----
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Microsoft Fellow, Information Society Project, Yale Law School
e: michael.zimmer at nyu.edu
w: http://michaelzimmer.org