[Air-L] The slow decay of mySpace?

Hugemusic hmusic at ozemail.com.au
Tue Aug 21 16:28:45 PDT 2007

Just read an (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070820/media_nm/myspace_dc)
article about the different fortunes of MySpace and Facebook. Now, the
article is framed as a discussion of how the two sites compare from the
point of view of growth and total numbers, but there was another figure the
writer ignored that is very revealing indeed.

The article lists the unique visitation of MySpace in July 2007 as 61.3
million, which sounds pretty impressive, especially when you consider that
it's up 33.3% on last year. Great! But when I logged on this morning, my
"Network" was 197,539,132 - more than three times the number of unique
visitors.  Even allowing for rounding of that network down to, say 180
million, that still means that 2/3 of account holders don't visit MySpace
each month!

Is this because of the migration we discussed earlier? Are some of these 2/3
of account holders delinquent?  Do the numbers stack up to the hype?  I
believe the profit figures on the venture were spectacular the other week

Personally, I have three MySpace accounts for various band activities, but
if the damn site gets any heavier and/or slower, I'm gonna give up as a bad
job ...

What do people think??

Cheers,
Hughie

The Genre Benders:  "I am leaving! I am leaving!"
    - out now at www.genrebenders.com
                        www.cdbaby.com/genrebenders