[Air-L] The slow decay of mySpace?

m.thelwall at blueyonder.co.uk m.thelwall at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 07:06:51 PDT 2007

Hi Hugie,
Just to back up some of the replies to this - looking at a sample of
MySpace profiles, about a third of "members" probably only log on when
they join and then give up for whatever reason. Another third probably log
on weekly or so and the rest may give up after a while or log on
infrequently - so it is difficult to draw conclusions about migration just
from the number of active users, even aside from the problem of multiple
accounts- which maybe one day soon the majority of users will have.
http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~cm1993/papers/MySpace_d.doc
It will be interesting to see if in the future sites that are now very big
amongst some sectors of the population (e.g., MySpace, Facebook) are
dropped for the new latest thing, or manage to sustain their user base by
reinventing themselves or just through sheer weight of numbers.
Mike