[Air-L] public private

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Fri Aug 10 09:21:32 PDT 2007

sorry.
I don't agree
On Aug 10, 2007, at 10:55 AM, M. Deanya Lattimore wrote:

> If people did not want their information to be considered "published,"
> then they should write it on paper and keep it under their mattresses,
> not type it into large databases that are collected, spidered, and
> searched by other online tools.

excuse me. "Publishing" something does NOT remove intellectual
property rights. In fact, those rights first become attached to the
ideas when they are "published" (put into form). When I play a song
I've written on the street corner, or in a bar, or at a concert, I'm
"publishing" it "in public." Doing so does not give ANYONE permission
to use it without my permission. "Fair use" allows the use of very
small portions of it for teaching or research, but only under certain
conditions. And the Teach Act modifies those allowed uses even
further in the case of online educational purposes.

> So by default for me, all internet work has been intended for
> publication.  Maybe to limited audiences, like when someone posts pics
> of themselves getting drunk in Facebook, but the fact of the matter
> is,
> it's still more in the public space than in the private one.

I think that the notion that the internet is a public space is
contestable. I would argue that the network of computers, routers,
wires and other technological stuff are almost ALL privately owned
entities . . . sort of like a great land filled with connected
malls . . . a mall is not a public space at all... it's private land
often FILLED with people doing stuff in the presence of others. But
the internet is not at all like public lands (city, county, state,
federally owned public space).

Further, even if there is a "public feel" to internet published
stuff, and putting aside for a moment the implications of the DMCA,
the Teach Act, and copyright law (not to mention a ton state laws
concerning "rights of publicity and privacy"), I reject the notion
that even bloggers who publish stuff are giving informed consent to
become research subjects.

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication