[Air-L] public private

Ed Lamoureux ell at bumail.bradley.edu
Fri Aug 10 14:36:05 PDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Conor Schaefer wrote:

>  If you are chatting in a cafe,
> you need to understand that what you say can be heard by those around
> you.

if you are chatting in a cafe, you are already in a private place . . .
if you are chatting in the knowing presence of others, you know who
can hear you and you can moderate your volume based on who you want
to listen.
If you are chatting in a cafe and I want to use a recording of your
words in research, I have to ask your permission and get your
informed consent, in most states in America.
In some states, I don't need your permission as long as the data
result can't be tracked to you personally, but these are a small
number of states.
If I want to take field notes on your interaction in such a place, I
can do so to my heart's content as long as the notes can't be tracked
back to you.

so in the case of data collected from the internet . . . did the
subject have a reasonable expectation that YOU would be observing them?
Did they have the chance to modulate their transmission based on your
presence?
Can the data be tracked back to them?
did they give informed consent?
are you using their words?
or only your field notes about their behavior?

Edward Lee Lamoureux, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Multimedia Program
and Department of Communication
Co-Director, New Media Center