[Air-L] public private - unit of analysis

Lois Ann Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:34:22 PDT 2007

One of the things I am struggling with, as I read this interesting and
timely thread, is the jumble I see being made of units of analysis.
Set the US IRB issues aside for a minute.

While US law makes it clear that renumeration is required for another
person to perform a musical work...there is no such requirement for
someone to write about the work.  Anyone could critique the musical
line, or the lyrics, or the performance.  They could evaluate the
presence or absence of the A-minor cord without payment or permission
to do so for work they could gain access to through legal means.

However, if they want to talk to the author - using the interview
through an online survey - they need to gain the author's
permission...it's really hard to interview people who don't agree to be
interviewed or surveyed.

The difference is the unit of analysis.  One is a things (document,
webpage, sheet music, etc.) and the other is a person (interview
subject, blood donor, survey taker, etc.).  The fact that a "person"
created the "thing" we are analyzing is really pretty much life on this
planet - and the reason why plant biologists and geo-scientists don't
usually deal with IRB's or "human" subjects - but if the "thing" is the
unit of analysis it stands alone in most cases.  Yes there are
exceptions...there always are.

Now just to cloud the water...assume I am doing a meta-analysis of
interview texts across 10 published academic papers.  Whose permission
is required?  Each individual interview subject?...the written text is
their words.  The paper's authors"...they are the primary authors of
the works so they own the words in print.  Or maybe the
publishers?...they own the communication medium that allowed the
interviews and associated papers to be available to me for analysis.

Answer...no one, it's a "thing"...an article.

A silly aside just to make the point.  You could add many people to the
list...the mailperson who delivered the journal - they had control and
custody over the work and were the last person to touch it before it
came to me.  The printer who moved the words onto the paper that was
bound and delivered to me...he had custody too.  Now don't tear me
apart here, I already said they were silly asides...but it proves the
point...the unit of analysis is the thing...not the people involved.

Having spent a number of years reading IRB applications I can tell you
that this issue is the primary place applications are held up in
review.  Researchers want to say they are analyzing a "thing" say a
webpage, when in fact their unit of analysis is a "person" who was
selected for interview through the identification of their publicly
available webpage.  It's really basic stuff but this thread shows how
easy it is and how often even experienced researchers mush it all up
and confuse the units.

Lois Ann Scheidt

Doctoral Student - School of Library and Information Science, Indiana
University, Bloomington IN USA

Adjunct Instructor - School of Informatics, IUPUI, Indianapolis IN USA and
IUPUC, Columbus IN USA

Webpage:  http://www.loisscheidt.com
Blog:  http://www.professional-lurker.com