[Air-L] Buddy churn

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Sat Aug 11 15:39:09 PDT 2007

With the American teens that I study, folks do not delete friends
from social network sites unless they had a fight or broke up
(romantic relations and friendships).  In other words, deletion is an
explicit, rude, intentional, and mean act that is meant to be a
rejection.  That said, when they switch networks or create a new
account (often because they forgot their password), they don't add
everyone back that they had before.  So the "churn" is more a matter
of new systems, new valuing of people.  This is really noticeable in
IM where they create new accounts more often (because their handle is
lame, because they didn't want someone to see them, because it's a
new school year, whatever).

I can't remember if i've ever written this up properly (I'm blurring
what I've written, said, and blogged about)... In a blog post, i
documented some fieldnotes about breakups:
http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2007/04/02/
relationship_pe.html

danah