[Air-L] public private

George Floros georgefloros at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 03:46:04 PDT 2007

Jeremy Hunsinger said:

> They are 'subjects' just not the type of subject defined by human
> subject research, which as I've said several times is clear, a
> subject is someone you intervene with or someone whose private
> information you have.   that is what the fed says they are.   THat
> does not mean that they are not ethical subjects or that we do not
> have certain responsibilities of care in our research, it just means
> that for the terms of human subjects review, studying texts is not
> studying human subjects.

I can't agree with the definition of a subject as simply *someone* you
intervene with or *someone* whose private information you have.
A subject should be a *unique someone* in one's research, a single
person and not a single persona (unless of course your research design
specifically addresses this issue of multiple personas). While the
opinions expressed in a blog like Jeremy's can be attributed relatively
safely to him, opinions in a forum or behaviors in an online world
cannot be attributed to any single person. In my book, failing to
convincingly address the issue of web anonymity is sloppy research. A
signed consent form goes some way (but not all the way) in addressing
this very real problem.

just my two euro-cents.

George Floros, MD
MSc Medical research methodology,