[Air-L] Public/ Private

Asa Rosenberg asa.rosenberg at sociology.gu.se
Mon Aug 13 12:10:07 PDT 2007

I'd like to ask then a sort of meta question here.
I am working with internet research ethics, particularly with regards to 3D
virtual environments (SL) but also about how/if ethics may differ depending
on application and other contextual factors.
If I wanted to analyze this discussion on research ethics that has been
going on on this list,
what would you suggest would be the right way to approach the issue of
consent?

While this list is publicly archived (at
http://listserv.aoir.org/pipermail/air-l-aoir.org/)
some people here have explicitly claimed that might not be a sufficient
requirement to use data without consent.

This ties in to a problem I have pondered already before. If you disagree
with your research participants wether not getting consent or not would be
harmful, is it your word or theirs that count? (An odd, but authentic
example: You research publicly posted material, political blogs for example,
and encounter a blog that has a post that says they hate researchers who
dont get consent).

It seems that when we say that "the ground rule is that if you post it on
the web its public" we mean that as a truth that disqualifies the
expectations and wishes of some people. Do we follow the participants wishes
against what we think is better knowledge or do we own up to the fact that
research sometimes involves dominance?

-asa