[Air-L] Please suggest titles for the AOIR Book Exhibit

elw at stderr.org elw at stderr.org
Thu Aug 16 09:03:31 PDT 2007

Hum.

I am a bit skeptical of organizational motives, here.

See this link

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=H-German&month=0402&week=c&msg=ZlkctLKYQSO81sbwcH90ww&user=&pw=

originally obtained from the old invisible adjunct site.

I do believe I've seen this same group (Library of Social Science) put out
what I usually call "spam" onto several listservs related to this one.

Usually those seem to consist of some sort of promo for a piece of
Holocaust-related vanity publishing - something about logics of war,
terrorism, psychology of Hitler, etc.  All legitimate research topics...
but all pretty disturbing stuff.

I'm not really sure about the wisdom of AoIR being connected with this
group.  It seems less than benign, to me... is AoIR's conference perhaps
being used as a vehicle to raise the profile of LSS?

I found it particularly strange that authors were being asked to provide
detailed information about their contacts at publishers - don't publishers
usually take care of some of these sorts of things on their own?  Getting
a table for one of their reps, getting their own books to conference, et
cetera...

Can someone on the conference site committee or the program committee
explain what the heck is going on, here?

--e