[Air-L] MA class on orgs and tech - need reading recommendations

McLaughlin, Lisa M. Dr. mclauglm at muohio.edu
Sun Dec 9 11:40:14 PST 2007

One more suggestion:

David Hesmondhalgh, The Cultural Industries, 2nd edition (Sage 2007)

On 12/9/07 2:32 PM, "McLaughlin, Lisa M. Dr." <mclauglm at muohio.edu> wrote:

A few suggestions:

Alan Liu, The Laws of Cool: Knowledge Work and the Culture of Information (U. Chicago Press, 2004)

Felix Stalder, Open Cultures and the Nature of Networks: Hard copies are available from the distributor (http://revolver-books.de/w3NoM.php?nodeId=675) and a pdf of the book, in English, can be downloaded at http://felix.openflows.org/pdf/Notebook_eng.pdf

Catherine McKercher and Vincent Mosco (eds.), Knowledge Workers in the Information Society (Lexington Books, 2007)

The Liu book focuses, to some extent, on web design-that is, web pages that are so "cool" that it's difficult to derive information from them.

I'd also suggest that students be required to subscribe to c/net news.com (http://www.news.com/) for rss feeds. I've found it to be invaluable in keeping up with IT industry developments. Use can be "personalized," and there's a helpful feature called "Newsburst" ( http://www.news.com/5236-8018-0.html?tag=ne.tab.hd). Subscription is free, but, of course, you have to endure the large number of ads.

Regards,

Lisa