[Air-L] Landrushes and Interdisciplinarity

Nancy Baym nbaym at ku.edu
Mon Dec 17 03:02:17 PST 2007

I haven't seen the evidence of a landrush mentality in which
disciplines are pitted against one another in internet studies or the
study of social network sites and the WP article didn't provide any
to support that claim.

I would have thought that being so deeply invested and watching it
from its gestation, I would be attuned to tensions between, say,
sociology, communication and information studies, over who ought to
"own" the field. I haven't seen it. To the contrary, I've seen people
in all three of those fields realizing how much the perspectives of
other 2 have to offer.

What I generally observed in a decade of working to move internet
studies forward as a solid and legitimate field of study is people in
every field feeling like internet studies was/is on the margins of
their own discipline and therefore seeking connection across borders.
If people were cloistering to try to keep it to their own field, AoIR
wouldn't do as well as it does. Unless, I guess, we're just a big
spyfest where we take the gems back to our own camps for polishing.

There may be landrush in the sense of all disciplines wanting a piece
of the topic, but if the disciplines are after one another to own the
field so they can corner the grants, it's news to me. The big grants
I see getting funded generally involve people from multiple
disciplines working together. All disciplines SHOULD be rushing to
internet research because the internet does impact them all. It's the
charge of disciplinary *competition* with which I disagree.

I have seen poor observations "dressed up in academic terminology"
and don't challenge that there's some lame internet research (and I
must point out that the WP writer did note after teasing everyone
that there are good ideas in the work she mocked). I'd wager there's
not a paper written, no matter how deep its insights, that has no
lines than cannot be pulled from their context and inserted into
another stream of discourse to look vacuous or dressed up in, shock
horror, a language style more appropriate to its original genre.

Nancy