[Air-L] Where Are You?

Christo Sims christo at sims.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 21 13:01:52 PST 2007

A couple quick points: I also lean towards Jerom and Deanya's
interpretation. The question isn't just about location, it's an
invitation for the other person to tell a bit about their
availability. In addition to "where you at?" I've heard a lot of
"what are you up to?" and "who are you with?" occurring early in
conversations (I study teenagers). This information helps the caller
know how to proceed with the conversation (e.g. what are they
interrupting, how available is the other at this time). Simply
picking up the phone doesn't indicate unfettered availability.

As for the Boost adds, they refer to "chirping" (or "bleeping") which
isn't quite the same as making a phone call. From my observations,
the protocols for building up and tearing down conversations are much
less burdensome with chirping. "Where you at" with Boost seems
similar to pinging someone on IM, feeling out if the other is
available to talk or even maybe even to meet up in person. Although I
haven't looked at it, I'd imagine it's often considered reasonable to
ignore a chirp (like an IM ping) or to respond with a quick
indication that they can't talk right now.

- Christo