[Air-L] snide, cute, ignorant, surprising

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Wed Dec 19 12:34:00 PST 2007

Peter:

We had an ongoing thread a while ago about this issue. Lessig (2002,
2004) vividly discusses the history of how each new technological is
always greeted with fear and loathing by the established mediums and
their surrogates. One of the best examples of this can be found in the
late (yet great MPAA leader for other reasons - like fighting
censorship) Jack Valenti referred to the vcr as the tool of the devil to
paraphrase him in the Sony Betamax (1984) case.

Social networking may not be accepted by many old line types; however, I
have discovered that it will be accepted as serious research provided it
provides citations to real links, uses standard language whenever
possible (sometimes one cannot explain things in standard language
because of the impact of convergence and publishing times) and the fact
that printing times have been used reflection time on an issue. I am
sorry to say that I believe that those days are coming to an end
rapidly. I have found that social networking has brought together
disciplines in a way that has not been done since the days of ancient
Egypt, classic Greece, Alexandria, the early days of the trivium and the
quadrivium, and the early to mid-twentieth century. What no one wants to
discuss is the looming presence of money and how it has systematically
caused academia to divide along disciplinary lines which was counter to
the Egyptian and Babylonian model, the Academy model in Greece, the
Hellenistic model in Alexandria or the medieval/renaissance model(2006).
The reason is because industry has cleverly tied financing to graduates
for industry, and yet it does not receive mainstream attention. Why?
Advertising!

I wrote a traditional dissertation, but I also utilized digital video,
iPod audio, still photography, Internet interviews, phone interviews,
live video/audio interviews, follow-up phone interviews for
clarifications and Internet verification of all interviews. This can be
done with web tools and posted with blogs. I believe in the open sourced
and collaborative approaches advocated by Anderson (2006), Gee
(2004,2005); Jenkins (2006), Prensky (2001,2006); Tapscott & Williams
(2006) and Willinsky (2006) and others including McLuhan (1967,1968) who
advocated the use of electronic media.

I believe that if our goal is to spread scholarly knowledge then we must
be prepared to take our message to the masses in both scholarly language
and non-standard language. If we want people to love knowledge as we
purport that we do, we must be prepared to meet people where they are,
so that we can assist them in taking that curious academic journey to
formal learning. At the end of the day, knowledge is free, yet
expensive; and each of us must understand that all education begins with
communication (Heidelberg, 2007). This has been true from the beginning
of civilization and continues to be the case today (Pollard & Reid,
2006), so we as scholars have to stay true to our roots and still
communicate with the tools of convergence.