[Air-L] Why aren't more websites accessible?

Sue Cranmer sue at jcranmer.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 11:58:06 PST 2007

Hello Glen

An important subject that needs much more work doing on it so good luck with
it.

You might like to have a look at the blog for a project I'm currently
working on which is trying to make online courses more accessible for
disabled students.  In relation to your question about why websites are not
made accessible generally, I am familiar only with the literature on higher
education.  Some of this is included in the literature review that you will
find on the blog and the research suggests that academics are not taking
accessibility on board due to a combination of factors which include: lack
of awareness; lack of time to address the issue; like of expertise; assuming
it is the disabilities support team responsibility and so on.

See http://coursesforall.wordpress.com/

I will be very interested to hear more about the commercial/industrial
perspectives in due course.

Best Wishes

Sue

This text was dictated using Speech Recognition software. Apologies for any
mistakes left uncorrected.