[Air-L] new AoIR Executive Committee + solstitial greetings

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 23:24:51 PST 2007

Hi all,

I know it's a very busy time of year, but I wanted to pass on to you a bit
of an update from the new Executive Committee.

In addition to some of the usual sorts of things taken up by the Executive
Committee (e.g., listserv and membership management questions, whether or
not we should pursue the suggestion of several members to start our own
journal, etc.), we have spent quite some time since Vancouver on the
following items:

1. AoIR 2008 / Internet Research 9.0, Copenhagen, Denmark, 15 -
Planning continues apace, with Lisbeth Kastrup as chair of the Local
Organizing Committee, and Brian Loader, Program Chair.
We anticipate an expanded CFP to come out before 21. December or so, along
with affiliated website, including accommodation information, etc.  (Our
solstice gift ...)
Also: look for an announcement soon - watch this space! - for a conference
on Website histories, affiliated with AoIR 2008 / IR 9.0, at Aarhus
University: double your pleasure and professional engagements when coming to
Denmark next Fall for AoIR!

2.  As Åsa Rosenberg, our new Graduate Student representative, notes below,
there is work to be done on redesigning the AoIR web site.

In other news: look for the next Newsletter soon!

==
The Executive Committee for 2007-2009 is as follows:

President - Charles Ess
Vice-President - Mia Consalvo
Treasurer - Monica Murero
Secretary - Sabyrna Cornish
Graduate Student - Asa Rosenberg
Open Seats (3) - Axel Bruns, Heidi Campbell, Marcus Foth
Past President - Matthew Allen
Systems Officers (2) - Alex Halavais, Holly Kruse

Here is what we hope will be a helpful introduction to your new Executive
Committee:

MATTHEW ALLEN (PAST PRESIDENT)

Matthew Allen has been taking a break from day to day engagement with AoIR
affairs prior to commencing a review of the AoIR by-laws.
Email: <M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au>

MIA CONSALVO (VICE-PRESIDENT)
I am the new VP for AoIR, and after a bit of a rest from the recent
conference, I'm ready to dive into exec work. I'm currently teaching in the
School of Telecommunications at Ohio University, and I'm co-editing (with
Charles Ess and Robert Burnett) the Blackwell Handbook of Internet Studies,
and also writing about fashion in MMOGs. For the immediate term I want to
familiarize myself with the aoir-exec, and begin planning for the 2009 AoIR
conference.
Mia Consalvo <consalvo at ohio.edu>

MONICA MURERO (TREASURER)

Monica continues her close and much appreciated attention to matters of
budget and membership, with a view towards insuring that AoIR remains
financially sound.
email: <murero at eircom.net>

SABRYNA CORNISH (SECRETARY)
I have been working with Matt on getting the membership
into a workable
document to make it easier to determine who the members
are and also help
facilitate renewals when necessary. I have been
putting the notes together
from the exec meetings at the conference and
also have been working on a
media kit for the AoIR that can go to the
news media and general public.

Sabryna Cornish
Assistant professor of journalism
Department of communication
Northern Illinois University
Email: <a135672 at wpo.cso.niu.edu>

open at this time and all grads are more then welcome to join and post to
it. http://listserv.aoir.org/listinfo.cgi/air-grad-aoir.org

-asa
Department of Sociology
Göteborg University, Sweden
<asa.rosenberg at sociology.gu.se>

MARCUS FOTH (OPEN SEAT)

I have been on the executive of AoIR for just over a month now and it
has been a steep learning curve in many aspects. I think it is good
to get a few new pairs of fresh eyes to look at established things
and sometimes question things in order to check if there are
opportunities to improve on what we've achieved so far. That is at
least one of my goals. I'm also excited to work with my fellow
'executers' to focus on AoIR as a member-based support network and
explore new ideas and new ways to enable members to network and
collaborate.

Marcus Foth
Institute for Creative Industries and Innovation
Queensland University of Technology (CRICOS No. 00213J)
Creative Industries Precinct, Brisbane QLD 4059, Australia
m.foth at qut.edu.au - http://www.vrolik.de/publications/

AXEL BRUNS (OPEN SEAT)
I'm a Senior Lecturer in the Creative Industries Faculty at Queensland
University of Technology in Brisbane, Australia. I'm particularly interested
in AoIR maintaining and expanding its international reach (without losing
its strong support base in North America and Europe) and building an even
stronger sense of collegiality across our membership. Of course the
conferences are one key to this, and as chair of the 2006 conference I'm
keen to use that experience to support the planning for Copenhagen in
October 2008, and the development of our conference schedule for the years
beyond.
--
Dr Axel Bruns                                      http://snurb.info/
Senior Lecturer, Media & Communication             a.bruns at qut.edu.au
Creative Industries Faculty, Z2-202, CIP             Skype: LexaSnurb
Queensland University of Technology                   +61 7 3138 5548
Musk Ave, Kelvin Grove, Qld. 4059, Australia       CRICOS No.: 00213J

HEIDI CAMPBELL (OPEN SEAT)
Howdy, I work at the home of the fighting Texas Aggies as an Assistant
Professor of Communication in Media Studies (Whoop!). I'm still learning the
ropes of the executive after my first month on board and am staying active
in our discussions of AoIR business as well as my involvement in the AoIR
Ethics Working Group. I am looking forward to helping develop AoIR's
networking and international profile.

Assistant Professor
Department of Communication
Texas A&M University
College Station TX 77843-4234
(email) heidic at tamu.edu
(web) http://comm.tamu.edu/people/profiles/campbell.html

and think subscribing to air-l might provide them with some sort of
professional organizational certification (???) from subscribing to the list
(the last is a recent phenomenon.)
Holly
--
Holly Kruse
Faculty of Communication
holly-kruse at utulsa.edu or holly.kruse at gmail.com
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~holly-kruse

ALEX HALAVAIS (SYSTEMS OFFICER)

I'm Alex Halavais, and I teach in the Interactive Communication
program at Quinnipiac University. I am taking on a second term in this
position. Generally, I hope to simplify some of the (too) complicated
processes that require systems support, and look for small, high-value
ways of leveraging our systems. Much of that role is supporting active
members of the AoIR community who are working on projects that have
some computing component. I'll be supporting groups who are developing
the new aoir.org website, as well as those who are working on our
support for Copenhagen. If you have a project you want to work on for
the benefit of AoIR, please let me know, and I can try to put you in
touch with others who share your interests.

// Alexander C. Halavais
// Social Architect
// http://alex.halavais.net

CHARLES ESS (PRESIDENT)
Mostly, I've been working on keeping up with these very busy folk - along
with groundwork and organizational matters for the AoIR 2008 / IR 9.0 and
affiliated conferences.

As you can see (if you've read this far, that is), AoIR is moving forward in
good ways, both as we review and revise some of our foundations (website,
by-laws, membership system, conference management software) and as we expand
our offerings and services to our members.  For example, this year begins an
affiliation with the journal Information, Communication & Society, which
will publish the first AoIR special issue, made up of selected papers from
AoIR 2007 / IR 8.0 (thanks, Barry Wellman, Carolyn Haythornthwaite, and Mia
Consalvo!) - and next year's AoIR 2008 / IR 9.0 conference will feature not
only the marvelous facilities of IT-University and Copenhagen University
(along with the delights of Copenhagen itself) - but also an affiliated
conference that will significantly enhance participants' understanding and
enjoyment.

We hope - and trust - that your engagement with AoIR will continue to be
both professionally beneficial and personally rewarding.  Happy holidays!

- c.

Guest Professor (fall, 2007), Department of Media Studies
IT Park
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Aarhus N
Denmark
Office: (45) 8942 9219
Mobile: (45) 2986 8967

Distinguished Research Professor,
Global Studies Center <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
Springfield, MO  65802  USA

President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/SOIS/cipr/ijire.html
Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>
Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
<http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23