[Air-L] recorder for Skype: was Re: Giveaway of the day

Sara J. Bocciardi Bassett sjbassett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 22:52:07 PST 2007

I have been using Ventrilo to conduct my interviews, which comes with a
built in recorder.  Unfortunately, as I started to write a glowing review of
it, I realized that there were more positives than negatives.  It does
indeed provide good quality audio.  Unfortunately, Ventrilo will only save
conversations in a file format specific to the program which does not play
in most audio players (and the playback GUI in Ventrilo is less than
perfect, to say the least).  I found myself using an audio editing program
to re-record all of my interview to MP3 format.  I also had some problems
with my interviewee and I being recorded over the top of each other (even
though we didn't talk over each other doing the interview).

The program that I used to convert my Ventrilo files to MP3 was NGWave (
http://www.ngwave.com/).  I found it really to use, and it was easy to edit
the levels in the sound files in case one person was recorded at a much
louder volume than the other.  I have also used Audacity, but I preferred
the interface of NGWave enough that I was willing to spend the $30 on it.

Also, when you are recording, check to see what audio channel the program is
recording from.  That may have had caused some of the odd noises in your
tests.

Hope that helps!

Sara