[Air-L] research ethics world wide? - PS

Charles Ess cmess at drury.edu
Mon Dec 17 01:10:14 PST 2007

Very sorry, Peter, if my previous note seemed too abrupt - too much email
this morning ... (so what's different?)

Let me at least now include: thanks very much for making the observation,
contributing your own experience (Elizabeth Buchanan and I would _love_ to
talk with you about that!), and raising what for many of us is an
increasingly urgent question.

Again, any additional comments, insights, etc. that you - and/or other
AoIR-ists can offer from your own experiences would be greatly appreciated!

with all best wishes,
-c.

> Now my question for cross border scholars are the research ethics
> much different based on the privacy laws in Canada, the USA, Europe
> or Asia?
>
> Of course I am more interested in privacy law differences than the
> actual ethics. But I am curious if there is an effect from the laws
> on the ethics?

Distinguished Research Professor,
Global Studies Center <http://www.drury.edu/gp21>
Drury University
Springfield, MO  65802  USA

Guest Professor (fall, 2007)
Department of Media Studies
IT Park
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Aarhus N
Denmark
Office: (45) 8942 9219
Mobile: (45) 2986 8967

President, Association of Internet Researchers <www.aoir.org>
Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/SOIS/cipr/ijire.html
Co-chair, CATaC conferences <www.catacconference.org>
Professor II, Globalization and Applied Ethics Programmes
<http://www.anvendtetikk.ntnu.no/pres/bridgingcultures.php>

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23