[Air-L] archived social network site

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Mon Dec 17 08:19:49 PST 2007

Bilbo,
I had to check your web presence before I responded. I thought you might be
a troll.

There is much academic debate about the ethics of examining social websites
and much debate in the AOIR list about how IRB's routinely deny use of
publically available information. As a researcher, I occasionally envy
others, such as journalists, who do not have similar restrictions about
access to "public" information. From your site,
http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=62&aid=57281, I see that ethics is also
an area of concern for you.

In answer to your question, I've not tried to retrieve changed (or even
current) social network information but suggest a visit to
http://archive.org.

Charles Balch MEd, MBA, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Information Systems
Arizona Western College