[Air-L] The Washington Post piece

Joseph Turow jturow at asc.upenn.edu
Tue Dec 18 05:28:38 PST 2007

It *is* mortifying to see the results of a (presumably) serious set of
interviews turned into what is fundamentally an anti-intellectual
article.   I have to say that every time I talk to a journalist I worry
that I won't end up sounding like a fool-even if the quote is correct.
The best people to talk to are beat reporters  who really know the
territory.  Monica Hesse, by contrast, is a "staff writer" who as a
result has written articles with titles  that range from "Identity
Stolen: Steel Yourself" to "Refrigerator Stuffed Too Full" and "...Can
Modern Love Survive a Tale of Two Chairs?"

For what it's worth, I see articles such as the one about Facebook as a
callout about the importance of a topic and people related to it.  When
I worry about such pieces, I tell myself that my nonacademic friends
(and the PR folks at my University) will  be impressed that I was quoted
and mostly forget what was said;  that most of my academic friends will
know how this works and shrug off what sounds silly; and that only a
wayward few will parse each quote to understand its deep meaning.

Joe

Joseph Turow
Robert Lewis Shayon Professor
  and Associate Dean for Graduate Studies