[Air-L] informed consent

Heidelberg, Chris Chris.Heidelberg at ssa.gov
Tue Dec 18 16:32:20 PST 2007

I sent cover letters with consent forms; I used my iPod as an audio
recorder; I used my professional Canon XL camera to video tape consent;
I used text messaging; I used Facebook; I used my weblogs; and I used
electronic mail too to demonstrate the many ways that edutainment and
convergence could be utilized. At the end of the day, the combination of
email interviews, audio and video conversations; and the blogs were
utilized for both consent and verification of all interviews and
follow-up conversations.

I utilized multiple online sources to publish my data with advanced
consent of my subjects for my qualitative study, and my subjects
required that I use their identities because they were media
professionals in multiple cities. I utilize video and audio interviews,
but everything revolved around the convergence of the Internet where I
sent all questions, received responses, conducted interviews, made
follow up calls, and clarified all responses via email before posting my
results.

In fact, my entire dissertation was based on open sourced research, so
anonymity was not an issue for my study. As a producer, writer and
director, I am used to using anonymity for certain types of stories but
my case study was also very ethnographic in nature and the subjects were
made aware that the research would be open from the beginning. This type
of study may have been more difficult for folks who do not work in the
media industry but my subjects had no problem speaking on camera or via
the Internet.

My topic was Edutainment & Convergence: How Can Entertainment Techniques
and Technology Be Utilized In Higher Education From The Perspective Of
Entertainment Professionals.

You can check out the summary of the findings in a few weeks. I am
celebrating the holidays, but the research will continue. This thing
snowballed and now I new potential subjects finding me because I work in
the business.