[Air-L] Where Are You?

richard.ling at telenor.com richard.ling at telenor.com
Wed Dec 19 23:29:20 PST 2007

Hi,

I don't know about in terms of spoken interactions, but I do have a
random sample of text messages sent by Norwegians.  (We gathered it by
questionnaire, not by observing traffic just so that is clear).

The actual phrase "Where are you" ("Hvor er du" in Norwegian) was used
in 1.4% of all the SMS messages in the corpus.

The phrase "where are you" is a type of coordination in many cases.  An
interesting finding is that about one third of all the text messages
were about coordination.  We coded the texts - with two independent
judges coding into categories - and we found that 33% had to do with
coordinating different aspects of daily life.  Another 17% were what we
called grooming (interactions that did not have a direct instrumental
purpose) and then there were a series of other types of interactions.

A link to the article is:
http://www.richardling.com/papers/2005_SMS_socio-linguistics.pdf

Rich L.