[Air-L] archived social network site

Alex Halavais alex at halavais.net
Mon Dec 17 07:37:30 PST 2007

Generally, sites that are "behind gates," like Facebook, are not
archived by the usual suspects. In order to get at an archived page,
you have to rely on individuals' private archives, or specific kinds
of archives (cf, MyDeathSpace). But, broadly speaking, while you
should never assume that a (nonpublic) image or page that has been
deleted from Facebook is gone for good (after all, Facebook itself no
doubt has an archive of the page and images), it's going to be
difficult to find an archived copy out in the wild.

- Alex

On Dec 17, 2007 9:58 AM, Bilbo Poynter <bilbopoynter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a journalist with a quick question: Does anyone know if  it is possible
> to recover an archived member page of a social network site, once it has
> been removed by the member, specifically Facebook?
>
> Any direction here would be great.
>
> --
> Bilbo Poynter
> bilbopoynter at gmail.com

//
// This email is
// [X] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais
// Social Architect
// http://alex.halavais.net