[Air-L] MA class on orgs and tech - need reading recommendations

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 9 12:05:35 PST 2007

You might look into the past with research in to women and technology
I was thinking of Susan Hacker and using google scholar this would be
the book I think I read

" Doing it the Hard Way": Investigations of Gender and Technology
S Hacker, DE Smith, SM Turner - 1990 - Unwin Hyman

I choose that one because I believe you said social sciences and thus
labour might be a topic. I think She studied various women's job in
technology

I also think

Cyborgs@ Cyberspace? An Ethnographer Looks Into the Future

D Hakken - 1999 - London: Routledge

provides some frame works for studies. I tired using his scales of
study but failed to find a project I could apply them too but it is
also a good start for social studies.

He also looked inside high tech workplaces. And he is cultural.

I think the web designers might also like this brush with "studies"

also for web designers which I am partly, I love reading the career
advise book CyberCareers by Mary E.S. Morris and Paul Massie and
published by Sun Microsystems a few years ago.

Peter Timusk,

B.Math statistics (2002), B.A. legal studies (2006) Carleton University
Systems Science Graduate student, University of Ottawa.
just trying to stay linear.
Read by hundreds of lurkers every week.