[Air-L] snide, cute, ignorant, surprising

nativebuddha nativebuddha at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 16:02:46 PST 2007

Is the "death threats" part really not what she said? She's quoted as such.

danah?

as for hearsay, the article attributes all but one quote from a
fully-disclosed source.

Overall the article is lite, but not really irresponsible, and while
it may not represent the field in the way that the field wants to be
represented, I think Nancy's father's quote:

"whenever journalists write about
other people's fields they get it exactly right, but whenever they
write about your own field, they get it exactly wrong."

is the most useful framing of the situation.

Making gross generalizations about journalists and their motives,
speculating as to how the story was constructed, is to commit the same
mistake that this reporter is being accused of with regards to
academia.

After all, there are many journalists who are brilliant. Seymour Hersh for one).

What if, instead of bashing the Post, aoir strategized how to portray
itself to the public?

-robert