[Air-L] snide, cute, ignorant, surprising

Alexis Turner subbies at redheadedstepchild.org
Sun Dec 16 16:40:05 PST 2007

Circle the wagons, boys!

She didn't seem surprised *or* ignorant to me.  She seemed right on the money.
I read nothing in the article that was inaccurate about the general state of
academia.  Do we really want to suggest that telling the public the truth about
how fucking ugly, insular, and petty the ivory tower is is "irresponsible"
(a word several respondents have thus far used)?  Is telling the truth
irresponsible, or is telling the truth about only yourself irresponsible?

That is not to say academia doesn't do good work.  But it isn't an all or
nothing endeavor.  We can put out good work while still being incorrigable
fuckups and human beings, filled with all the same ridiculous cliques,
backbiting, and foibles that other humans are subject to.  Pointing that out is
hardly inaccurate.

I would LOVE to give most of the academy the  "atomic wedgie" Hesse suggesests
because the shit she quotes is *precisely* what makes the academy's work
meaningless to the very people it should be speaking to - the public.  If you
don't like the picture being painted, change the landscape.
-Alexis