[Air-L] Post article

Ted M Coopman coopman at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 17 09:57:52 PST 2007

All,

There are (IMO) are two aspects that I find the most disappointing:

1. That something like SNS (BTW- not my area) that are fundamentally changing media models and multi-billion dollar industries and attracts tens of millions of users is too silly to research and a "fad." This is, however, typical of the MSM approach to new technology. Actually, those who study computer gaming should be "feeling it" on this one.

2. And most importantly, is the position danah has been put in as a graduate student. Her success and impact in this area at this stage of her career is really amazing and deserves POSITIVE acknowledgment both in and outside academe.

However, the reality is that academe is very hierarchical and grad students are at the bottom no matter what they have accomplished. Granted, AoIR is very egalitarian in this regard (which s why I love it). This type of attention places danah in a weird position within her own program and her discipline in general (although interesting Hesse did not mention danah was in the Information School). The comment by the unnamed academic source appears to be evidence of this. As someone who is working to finish a diss, the graduate experience is at its best a stress-fest and (it seems to me) that this treatment is certainly not helping danah in this regard.

danah, while I can't say anything to make it suck less, at least you know you have the support of your peers here.

-TED

Ted M. Coopman
Department of Communication
University of Washington