[Air-L] Freeware

Charlie Balch charlie at balch.org
Tue Dec 11 07:38:09 PST 2007

Thanks for the source Louis but there are better sites for truly freeware.
Also, as noted in the comments of other readers, Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/) is a superior recorder that can
be run as a portable application which makes it even more useful for folks
who don't have admin privileges. Audacity is both free and open source.

Here's some of my favorite links to freeware collections:
http://techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/
http://www.portablefreeware.com/

In this context, http://igoogle.com and http://docs.google.com should also
be mentioned. IGoogle allows you to easily create a custom website that you
can access from anywhere you have net access. I find the notepad,
bookmarks/favorites (you can import your current ones), and the calendar
particularly useful. Google docs are something like a Wiki except they also
provide a spreadsheet and presentation. Changes made by any collaborator are
instantly seen by all the other collaborators.

My division recently used the spreadsheet to work out our Fall 2008
schedule. It was nice to see what others wanted. I plan to use the docs in a
few of my classes next semester -- I'm going to have students
collaboratively create fact and instruction sheets. I'm still not sure how
I'm going to grade this but I'm excited to try.

Note: I'm not affiliated with any of the above except as a user. I do pay
for the excellent techsupportalert newsletter.

Charles Balch
Professor of Computer Information Systems
Arizona Western College