[Air-L] online community statistics

Emma Duke-Williams emma.dukewilliams at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 00:31:20 PST 2007

On 11/12/2007, Lorraine R Buis <buisl at msu.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there has any citations for updated
> statistics/estimates of the number of Internet users who use online
> communities. The most current estimates I can find are from a 2001 Pew
> Internet & American Life report that indicate that approximately 100 million
> American Internet users have used an online community. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated!

You've mentioned the Pew reports and given your address, I'm guessing
that you're particularly interested in US data. However, you might
find http://www.scribd.com/doc/513941/The-Facebook-Faceoff-An-Empirical-Analysis-by-Human-Capital
useful. It's from Neilsen Netratings and is UK based. They were
primarily looking at Facebook, but include other Social Networking
sites that are popular in the UK as a comparison.

--
Emma Duke-Williams:
School of Computing/ Faculty eLearning Co-ordinator.