[Air-L] research ethics world wide? (was Re: NYT story on academic facebook research)

Peter Timusk ptimusk at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 16 22:32:18 PST 2007

thats interesting I also note snide wit in that article but much less.

I also see that article covers the topic of research ethics really.

Speaking of which in my legal studies I was allowed access to a US
legal database that can snoop on Americans, a similar service for
legal research by the same company but for Canadian law can not
search out Canadians by sin number or driver's license. Now we were
told there were rules as to what we could access but that if we had a
reason we could snoop.

Now my question for cross border scholars are the research ethics
much different based on the privacy laws in Canada, the USA, Europe
or Asia?

Of course I am more interested in privacy law differences than the
actual ethics. But I am curious if there is an effect from the laws
on the ethics?