[Air-L] NYT story on academic facebook research

Sam Ladner samladner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:39:31 PST 2007

Ah this is all true. Back when I was in journalism school, I remember a
single class we had on "numbers." We were tasked with using calculators to
decipher the "validity" of fake press releases.

Statistical significance? No sir, we did not study that! Probably because
our journalism professors and future editors don't understand statistics. We
did do "interviewing," which I must say, was much much better training than
any interview methods I learned in graduate school.

Upon my entry into graduate school, I recall being shocked at how common
qualitative research was. I had thought it inferior because it didn't have
statistical significance (I had done my own studying beyond the proscribed
journalism curriculum). I wondered how all these academics get off on saying
they do "valid" research when they  had sample sizes as small as 10!
Imagine!

Of course it took me awhile, but I learned how qualitative validity works.
Most people, journalists or not, have no idea how qualitative validity
works, and have only a passing understanding of quantitative validity
(something vaguely to do with "sample size" they imagine).