[Air-l] "911.gov" -- Social Networks + Disaster Relief

Paul DiPerna pdiperna at blauexchange.org
Wed Feb 21 08:39:24 PST 2007

I came across a Technology Review article this morning which might
interest some folks here who look at the intersection of ICTs and
public policy.

"Type 911.gov: Two scientists think that social networks can improve
disaster relief"

Here is another backgrounder I found on BBC's site-

I definitely like the intent behind this kind of initiative.
Unfortunately the devil is always in the details when such a great idea
enters a political process, and then actual implementation.

The Shneiderman-Preece article appeared in Science this past week.
(you'll need a subscription to view)
911.gov's purpose reminds me a little of the Katrina PeopleFinder

Paul DiPerna
Blau Exchange
email: pdiperna at blauexchange.org
Online ID: http://claimid.com/pdiperna